Cannot Recommend Why Do We Suffer by Daniel Harrington SJ

As a Calvinist Christian, I should have known not to buy this book, but I didn't notice the author was a Catholic Jesuit Priest. As soon as I realized who the author was, I knew I made a mistake. Still, I forced myself to read the book to see if I could learn any insights or gems. None found.

The book was junk - garbage. No insights, no answers. The entire books goes over some Bible verses and tells you what the verses tell you - which, you already understand their meaning when you read the verses yourself! The entire start of the book is all about what the lamenting pslams. No insights. Then it goes to Job. You would think you would learn something about suffering by reading about a chapter on Job. None found. It tells you a summary of Job. But we already know what Job is about!!! Then it tells you about Jesus and his resurrection and how his apostles WANTED to suffer because Jesus suffering. It still never tells you ANYTHING new about suffering.

In the end, the book never addresses ONE SINGLE question about why we suffer. So the book is titled "Why do we suffer?" The author answers this question "I don't know" but here are some bible verses that deal with suffering. But sorry, none of the verses answer our questions either.

I am throwing this book in the garbage. No one should waste their time or money on this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment